Outreach youth Buddies are young LGBT+Q+ people who have been attending the Outreach youth LGBT*Q+ youth groups for at least six months and want to offer support to new young people.
A small group of young people worked with staff to design the Buddies project – together they identified
– their own experiences of coming along for the first time,
– what new young people need to know,
– what a Buddy would do
– what qualities a Buddy needs.
The young people felt that Buddies would
Meet and greet new young people, so that they can feel comfortable in the project and this would include
– showing new young people round the project
– introducing them to other young people
– explaining about the Facebook page
– making sure the young person is encouraged to come along and take part
Young people agreed that all Buddies must attend an initial training session and then Buddy meetings throughout the year.
First Buddy Training Session
Our first Buddy Training session took place on Friday 29th September 2017 – the training consisted of
Welcome & Introductions – Why Are We Here? – Hands – Roles & Responsibilities – Buddy Process
When young people evaluated the bet things about the session they said;
– Quick, concise and detailed
– Talking about some things to help our understanding of our roles
We are now developing our Buddy programme with more young people and linking this to a new LGBT*Q+ Young Trainers programme .